Friday 19 October 2012

Experiments with filters June 29.6.2012










The collage above are all images taken by Alfred Stieglitz



I hadn't worked with filters before so it was a nice change to take this opportunity to see what results I would get with different colours.  The images of Stieglitz I used as a guideline for me to work towards.  I didn't really want to replicate them, but create a version of my own.  I used my camera's built-in filters first, funnily enough I hadn't realized that my camera had such facilities on it.  I started off using green and went through the different colour choices, but not all were selected for this blog. 

My friend, Sue who had come with me on this day out had brought along with her some external filters which luckily enough also fitted my camera - blue, red and sun set.





Personally, I feel that the outcome of the blue filter shown on these images worked the best.  Maybe due to blue being a colour that we're used to seeing in the sky made them more pleasing.
















Some of the images below vary from being a very dark black to almost a grey colour.  I'm torn which I prefer, personally I think my preference varies from image to image.  One or two even look like images of Earth from space which gives another outlook on the pictures. These are taken using the red filter.  








































This image is enhanced by the line of the airplane emissions.  














The images that have the sepia look to them I don't think worked very well.  They seem too flat and lifeless.









































I can't remember what filter I used for this image above, but its got an interesting twist to it. 















The filter I used on the images below I feel made the wheat have more depth to them and look more 3D






















Again the sepia effect didn't seem to work on the wheat either.





My conclusion

I felt a little out of my depth working with the filters.  Personally, I will work with filters again if I think it results in the type of image that I want at that time.














No comments:

Post a Comment