Friday 19 October 2012

Southport 30.5.2012




I was lucky enough to be asked if I wanted to go on an organised trip to Southport which I jumped at because I hadn't been there since I was a small child with my grandparents.  When we got there the weather wasn't very kind to us and I was very doubtful as to what images I would get.  Our first port of call was to the cafe my family always go to on their visit here to have lunch and to get out of the rain showers.  From the menu my taste-buds were drawn towards a latte, home-made fishcake with mashed potato and sweet chilli sauce.  I even had enough room for pudding which was a jam and cream scone. This is a family run business called The Gallary Cafe Bar which is situated at 5-7 Eastbank St,With our bellies full, we ventured out to explore the town. 













I liked this bronze statue of the mermaid because of its subtle use of decoration and detail.  I didn't find it vulgar or distasteful and the koi carp hid her modesty well.  









I found it a nice design idea having the water spouting from what would be the open mouth of the Koi carp fish. 






I couldn't miss the opportunity  of passing this quaint period car without capturing an image.







The day was so dull due to the rain, I found it hard to capture the buildings and their detail. I like the blue tiles in this image it drew me into the focal point of the middle.







I feel that sometimes we don't tend to appreciate the art of window dressing. This image I found very summery despite the weather; the British flags seem to draw your attention in more.




















This beautiful, medium sized bronze statue is of the famous Grand National race horse Red Rum.








I love the way the arcade had put the display up. Just that one red dress among the white with the bunting made a great image.







Due to it being the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, the bunting was out in full and this made for an interesting photo.







This Tiffany's style glass I really liked 








To find out more about Wayfarers Victorian Arcade click on the link below.


http://www.wayfarersarcade.co.uk/historic-wayfarers/the-history-of-the-arcade.htm






I quite liked the design of the Penny Farthing being used in this way.







Due to the muggy day I was disappointed that I couldn't get the last two images clear enough. I particularly liked the statue of the man on the bike because it was angled and seemed an unusual thing to see.






The roof in the foreground reminds me of a past era (which I later found out was actually Victorian).  I quite like this image due to the alignment of the lamps going to the right and which I feel is complemented by the white vertical wood in the bridge .









I think the washed-out sky actually helped the image to bring out the detail.  This statue reminded me of one that is very similar to the one in Liverpool by the courts.







I tried many times to get the image of the water fountain to my liking.  This one is the nearest to what I had envisioned.   





























The images above is of the Widnes Bridge which was open around about July 1961. I had only known it as the Runcorn Bridge maybe because it does cross over into Runcorn! When the sun is shinning on this bridge I can actually see it in the distance from my house. It is for me a visually stunning piece of engineering and as square as it sounds this was the icing on the cake for me to actually be going over it.




More info on Widness bridge below.

http://www.mersey-gateway.org/server.php?show=ConNarrative.9&chapterId=36







This last photo is a snapshot taken at a services station as we had a quick pit stop on the way home.













No comments:

Post a Comment