Friday 5 October 2012

17. 6. 2012 Pistyll Rhaeadr




Pistyll Rhaeadr is one of The 7 Wonders of Wales, due to its height at 240 ft (74 metres) and it is the highest waterfall in Wales.This is the rhyme which I had to learn at school to remember them.

                                                 Pistyll Rhaeadr and Wrexham steeple,
                                                 Snowdon's mountain without its people,
                                                 Overton Yew trees, St. Winifred's Well,
                                                 Llangollen Bridge and Gresford Bells.

  The anonymous nursery rhyme listing the so-called "Seven Wonders of Wales" was probably written by an English visitor to North Wales sometime in the late 18th or early 19th century.

The written extract above  was taken from the website below and to find out more about The 7 Wonders of Wales click onto the link:   

http://www.britannia.com/wales/7wonders/wonderintro.html

 
On this particular day it was a double celebration due to the fact that it was my birthday and Fathers Day. I had wanted and planned to come here for the occasion. The previous few weeks had been one of the wettest in history but on this day we were blessed by clear blue skies and sun. I had come prepared this time and had brought my tripod to improve my photographing of the water. I wanted to make the water appear "creamy" by using "motion blur" as an effect. To my amazement and delight this became a stunning view. Due to ample rainfall, it was at its  best for a photographic opportunity.




The spray from the waterfall is visible in the image.



 


View below the small bridge


 



This view is of half the waterfall,  which then goes under the small bridge that I'm standing on.












 



 




 














I took this to show the contrast between my use of the "motion blur" effect on the water and the natural surroundings











Scenery on the walk up to the top of the waterfall.






Slate was clearly visible in the mountain side.
















Beautiful skies of summer.









View up the valley.






This helecopter was low enough for me to get this shot.











A closer view of up the valley












I found this decaying log on top of the falls











One of many smaller water falls above the large one.










I liked the layers in the wood.






View from the top of the falls.


 








At the very edge of the highest waterfall.




A close up view of below.






To find out more about Pistyllrhaeadr please click on the link below:








No comments:

Post a Comment