Friday 14 October 2011

Snail Beach 18.9.2011 with NWMAT.



This is NWMAT   - the trust which I am a member of.
 It stands for North Wales Miners Asocciation Trust.





                                                                Some of the gang.


                           Photo taken by Kelvin Blower and borrowed from NWMAT website.


To find out more on Snailbeach click on the link below.
http://shropshiremines.org.uk/snailbeach/index.htm


This was an organised trip to Shropshire Lead mines, I had heard snippets from the gang about there last visit here. I was prepared  for the experience with wellies and a light as required. I was picked up and we all headed to Shropshire. On the way up there Keith had shared with everyone the joke of how I had thought that there was a beach and a cave where we were going to. At this point I could feel my face going red with embarrassment and  I wanted to sink lower and lower into my seat. Keith and Alan filled me in to why the place had such a name. This was apparently due to the fact that snail fossils were found there. To be honest I tend to believe that what people tell me is always the truth,mmmm I should know better by now hay.Especially from Keith as he's the joker of the group and keeps us all going.
                 Once there we all got out and those of us that wanted to go on the underground trip queued up to signed and pay. There were a few other tables there with information on other events in Shropshire with an option to buy DVDs. Once everybody was ready we took the minibus up to the top of the hill and this is where we met Adrian. He then showed us into an area where we all sat and watched a DVD on Snailbeach, which also showed us how some of the buildings were before renovation. When this had finished we all went outside and had a group photo  ( shown at the top of the page ).
                 The group dispersed into those who were and weren't  going under ground. I followed the others up a long path to the cave area. We all waited as there were only two teams of 10 allowed at a time with a guide, for those who hadn't brought wellies some were provided. Hard hats were issued as soon as one of the other groups came out. Having worn these before I had remembered how heavy they felt. I was given an additional light but I had already remembered to bring the brightest torch that I could find at home which was a halogen one. The other trips that I have been on have been really light once underground.
It was now our turn as a group to go in.
                 Strange how the mind produces humour, at this point all I could think about and as we all entered in a line was.... " High Ho, High Ho, i'ts off to work we go." This was until my thoughts were broken by the sounds of hollow bangs of peoples hard hats being knocked on the rock above. Due to the fact that they hadn't stooped low enough. The more I began to laugh the more I started to catch my own hat. This again enhanced my laughter because it gave the effect as being drunk with that rebound which makes you off balance. I began to realise why we needed our wellies, the squelch of feet exiting and re-entering wet muddy slush, made us all have to concentrate just that little bit more, Eventually we came to two openings where we had to wait for others to pass through.
                  




Rocks under ground which had lead in them.

The guide knew a lot of imformation and was known to his work colleags for talking too much.
Not to sound too rude this became apparent to me very quickly, as my head started to feel fuzzy with information overload that was being spouted out too fast for my brain to digest. The little info I did take in was interesting despite this. So I moved away a little from the group to examine the fascinating colours in the rocks which glistened when I shone my torch over then like diamonds and gold. We all passed around a lump of lead so we could all feel the weight of it. To my amazement I was so glad that I hadn't dropped it as my foot would of been broken it was so heavy. The guide then took us back and down into the other tunnel where more bumping of hats was heard along the way. We stopped and were educated about the next area. Once he had finished to my supprise it was time to exit. I guess in a way I was dissappointed due to the fact that we hadn't been long, where as in the coal mines we were down there for ages. We all exited, handed back our hats,torches and others their wellies, as the next group wanted to use them.
 Back down the path outside we followed it back to where the others were to meet for a nice warm drink. I wondered off to take photos, then Alan showed me into the blacksmith area. This is where they were making engraved ingots for sale, I was teamed up with Kelvin for a while to see another area where there was a shed with machinery and tools in.












                                 This is a picture of how the top 4 photos make up this building.





This is one of the items in the shed, which is remains of an old cart.





I liked the rust and patterns on these.




Keith on the left sharing a joke with Dennis.





   My patience paid off, blue skies appeared long enough for me to take this photo.
 Just like a coal mine this is a wheel  that connects to be able to lower and higher a cage.




                                            The  Bog  visitors  centre  Stiperstones


click on the link to find out more,  http://www.bogcentre.co.uk/
                                http://www.shropshiretourism.co.uk/attractiondetails.php?estid=3959

This is where we went as a detour, had a rest with a drink and a slice of home made cake before going to our next destination.


                                                   Views were taken just outside the centre.











When we had finished it was time for us all to go and have a late evening meal at The Stiperstones Inn. Our table had been booked for between 4 PM and 4.30. It was a really nice end to the day before we all got dropped back home at about 8 pm.


For info on

North Wales Miners Trust
( NWMAT )



No comments:

Post a Comment