Friday 14 October 2011

Lake Vyrnwy 11.07.2011

 


I didn't realise that this place in the 18th century was also known by the name of Llanwddyn village. In 1880 work had been started to lay a gravity- fed tunnel 68-miles back to Liverpool  which was then the second city of the British Empire. They needed water to feed its factories so this village of approx 37 houses, 3 inns,a parish church and 2 chapels had to be sacrificed. A new village was built by engineers, on the South side of the Dam with a church in Victorian Gothic design. The village was to be seen for the last time in 1888 when the Dam was completed.


Once at the destination the car was parked at the top. With a feeling of sadness of discovering this information that yet another Welsh village had been stolen from our landscape. I walked on to stop and take a photo of something else that is slowly vanishing from our forever changing environment.





                                                     The humble red phone box.


I can't help but feel that nostalgic delight in my stomach when I see them. So as a photographer I like to record them in the environment while I see them.
There is a steep path to the right which half way up gives you a great view of the Dam.



                                                    
                      After a time there was a chance for another opportunity to take a photo.







Eventually I was introduced to Andy Hancock's Sculptures, so I took the short walk around the path to view his work.






Whilst looking at the feather sculpture I couldn't help but chuckle to my self, as you may be aware of by now I tend to see many different things when I look at objects. My inner child's eye drew me to the fact that right at the top where it curves over, it so much reminds me of the Beatles  hair styles ( famous 60s group ). See if you can spot what I mean.


I love rivers and was soon drawn to finding the perfect flat stone to skim on the water.





I also found a larger area to practise this skill where flat stones were plentiful. I didn't want to leave this place for I was having fun and had got up to 6 skims on the water surface so I wanted to see if I could beat that.  The adult part of me eventually took over much to the inner child's disgust and it was time to go further.




                                     The good skimming stones place.




I hadn't realised that once I had got over the bridge and followed the path that it was the bottom end of the car park where I had parked at the top.







Once I was at the top by the car yes it was that time again- Lunch -so I followed the smell just like the old Bisto gravy kids advert. A delicious home made fish pie was devoured, to be fair all of the menu was home made. I would recommend a meal here, at this area there was two shops on the site.
The next part of the journey was in the car around the lake when again I couldn't resist stopping on the side of the road to take a photo.





There was an area to which I'd call the top of the Lake where I parked up. The path was quite busy with other people walking back and to on it. Eventually there was an amazing site before me a really high waterfall that in some kind of strange way reminded me of Pistyll Rhyadr. There at the bottom was a smaller water fall.




Which also reminded me of Betws y Coed and the Swallow falls, not that I've been there yet  -close but the weather has always stopped me walking along it.

No comments:

Post a Comment