Thursday 27 October 2011

Rhydymwyn 26.8.2011


We hadn't  had a photo day for such a long time, It as also nice for the three of us to get together. Geraldine introduced us to her latest discovery, which was Rhydymwyn notoriously known in the war time for making mustard gas bombs. I was in my element so much space and things to discover, I left the other two but every so often joined up to check in on what they had found. After sometime of going in disused warehouses, Geraldine took us to another part of the site. Here there were more smaller buildings off I went again just like a wound up toy.
From time to time I went to get the others to show them what I had found, sadly I hadn't brought a torch so I couldn't see what was in some buildings. We found so much graffiti and workings out on the wall, It was strange in a way as every generation tends to think that they were the first to use bad language and write on walls. Of course the language was so mild as you can see on one photo further down, but in that era it was classed as really bad.
 The highland cows where there cordoned off, the first thing I thought when I saw them was Highland toffee. The time as always flew by we had walked around seeing a lot of the site and the pond with its reeds. One of the other high lights of the day was seeing a snake on the site I hadn't really seen one that close in the wild.




                                          This is one of my favourites photos of the day.






                                                       A lifting device in the warehouses.





                                                  One of many empty warehouses.




                                                    One of 4 tanks around the pond.



   

Teasels by the pond.




   

A frame within a frame within a frame.





A view with a difference.





Highland cattle.





Before and after.




Squatters on the site.





Two of much more graffiti on the site.





A lonesome pine tree.


 I recently re visited this place 15.10.2011 with Kelvin and Margret from NWMAT Miners Trust, where we were shown a video on the factory and what it entailed to make the bombs. We were given a talk of the history had a tea break before being taken on a guided tour of the site. It was good to have history to go along with what we were viewing, this time I had remembered to bring a torch so I re visited some areas.  


To find out more click on link below.


1 comment: