Thursday 27 October 2011

My time exploring Shropshire ( July 2011 )

An opportunity to explore Shropshire came knocking, so I opened the door and welcomed it in.
I hadn't  really seen a lot of this area, parts that I had were only mostly as blurs of passing scenery from a car window. There was so much to see and re discover about this part of England for me, buildings of Tudor style preserved. As if it were only yesterday that this time period was lived in, my mind once again was taking a visual wander to how it might of been. New and old were combined, somewhere along the way I briefly saw an amazing conversion. Of an old train station that was now a bungalow with a large garden. So much open space of farming land and like Wales high mountains, that looked like large dormant prehistoric humps on dinosaurs.
After some time a rest stop was in order and refreshments, next nothing like a walk to burn off the calories.  It was such a lovely day sun and blue skies, there were lots of families relaxing while their children amused themselves with fishing nets and buckets. After passing the cafe and the ford in the road there was a more prominent path, which was followed  a steady incline was starting to be felt on the legs. The sound of laughing children had melted away, the path was quite busy with people descending up and down. Some walked faster than others while a few stopped to regain their breath. Of course I too had to have rest stops for a drink as well as the heat starting to drain me every so often. Eventually the top was reached and the view below was worth every ounce of sweat that I had mopped from my brow.



                                       Carding   Mill  Valley.







                                                  Views from the top.


 





                                       The slow climb / walk up. 



Eventually the track followed did a circular route, which lead back onto a road. The road was all down hill but it seemed quite narrow and dangerous, as the cars engines were heard groaning. Time soon passed and seemed to take less time getting back to where the walk started.


 


Interesting tree roots.

This tree was on the hill just opposite the small stream



 

Sun set of that day.


 
There seemed so much more to this place in terms of walks, hopefully some day I will return and venture on some of the other paths. 


 
Click below to find out more.

 
http://www.shropshiretourism.co.uk/attractiondetails.php?estid=2196



Acton Scott  Victorian   Farm


The next stop made was here at Acton Scott Farm. 
This was a place that I hadn't heard of before, so I had no preconceived expectations.
It looked small at first but when I was given a map the scale was so much larger. Equipped with my camera and map off I went to explore, there was so much to see. In some areas talks were being given - one I looked in on was how honey was made this was interesting. There were sheds mocked up and some had old carts and machinery in and I eventually walked and found the animals which we were able to go and look at in the stables. Ducks , geese and chickens roamed around freely. There was a cafe for refreshments and a large garden to sit in if you wanted too.  


 


                             
                             This statue reminded me of The War Horse.












Old machinery.





Ducks napping






Infant geese gaggling - playing follow my leader!





A cockerel among the chickens.






                                                              A wooden cart wheel.






                                                    One of many old carts there.





Fires end.


 
This I found at the back of the pigsty in the Blacksmith area and I liked the way that the wood looked after the fire had gone out. This was a good place to visit as the staff here also wore the old clothing which was visually an extra bonus to the feel of the place.

 
Click below view more information.

                                                    http://www.actonscott.com/historic.php




Stoksey  Castle  and  Church  


I found this place not conforming with my image of what I have always  seen as a castle, so It took me a while to get my head around this concept.I spent most of the time exploring the Church and the yard, to get inside the grounds you had to take a path through the Church which I  also found a little strange.
I eventually made the short walk through the gate into the grounds, having browsed around the small shop my mind was on caffeine withdrawals. So with lack of enthusiasm due to needing a fix, and especially in hearing that to get to the coffee shop I would have to pay the entrance fee. I sneaked in without paying ( shame on me I know ), so not  to take advantage of my dishonesty I didn't take a tour around I just sat in the garden and enjoyed afternoon tea so to speak. I sat in the sun and enjoyed coffee and a clotted cream scone, mmmmm heaven I was contented enough. ( please note that if I was going to have a look around the castle then I'd have gladly paid.)





                                                A view of the castle from the church yard.
                                                          




The Church dates back to the 12th century.








 













" he's only a poor little sparrow"



                                                    
                                       To find out more click on the link below.

                   http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/stokesay-castle/




A  Nostalgic  find.





 
 I spotted this in a charity shop, I had to look at it twice due to the fact that it had been approx 15 years or so since the T.V advert. As many of you who are of a certain age might remember.


 
 Hear is a reminder and an up dated version I found.





This is the remake of it.


 



Craven   Arms

The  Land of the Lost Content
Museum 


From the outside it looked quite small, but once you had stepped in. It became an amazing visual of what generations have lived through.  I became so over whelmed that I had to stop, take a breath and plan my route as I didn't want to miss looking at anything. There were so many sections dedicated to  different areas, such as kitchen, food ,war, 80s, 90s cinema and so much more. I couldn't help but try to have a look if I could spot anything that my ( Nain ) Gran used to have, I wasn't disappointed there were many items I recognised.
 As I walked through the areas I felt that  strange nostalgic feeling that other generations before me must feel when seeing things from there past. Time does fly by so quickly it only seemed like yesterday since we had or used such things, mmmmm maybe its not us getting older just merely  the speed of technology getting faster. I find that each day we live we except new gadgets into our lives kind of easily, its then not until we look at each decade closely do  we realise how much has change and been developed. I also find it a time that we can also see what we have lost and the ways of which we use to live changed forever.
There is also a cafe to stop and have a rest, in between the three floors of viewing.


 





Important Note

(The next lot of images are taken from various web sites about the Museum. I have purely borrowed them just for public attention to be drawn to the Museum, I wanted others to visit and enjoy the nostalgic experience.)


Stella Mitchell at the Land of Lost Content in Craven Arms.

To see more on this artical of how it all started click below.

http://www.shropshiremagazine.com/2009/04/the-woman-who-has-the-time-of-your-life/


These next images are of inside the Musem an example of the different sections such as...

to see the site they are from click on to below.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/6186800




 
                                                                       Photography         



Television



                                                                         Radio


 This last link is the official to the muesum.

Click below.



LASTLY



Thank you Stella


 
I really enjoyed seeing your collection, It is a credit to all of your hours and years of tracking it down.Thank you for allowing others the pleasure to view it all and reminisce.
I didn't want to miss this opportunity to tell others of my experience, It was good to have a brief chat to you on my visit. When I pass  Craven arms again I will surely have another visit.     

1 comment: