Friday 14 October 2011

Chirk Castle 16.9.2011

This particular day the weather was  terrible to go out taking photos, skies were dull and full of rain clouds. Despite this it was a day that I wanted to go out and do something. Geraldine joined me and suggested Chirk Castle. I pondered the idea with hesitation, due to the fact that I had already been in March to the gardens on an open day to see the daffodils. I then realised that I hadn't been inside since a trip took me way back when I was in primary school, my how time has flown by! In my mind it seemed as if it happened only yesterday.
I had remembered that back in March the small tractors that were there for the small children to play on had captured my attention. Due to there being children on them then I had lost an opportunity to take photographs of them, so I jumped at the chance to revisit this now.






Just to the left I had noticed a letter box in a  circular stone area. With my fondness for post boxes and a need to have a look at what monogram is on them I also grabbed this chance too.




With at times having an over active imagination and the ability to see other things in objects this image sent my mind into overdrive. This was due to me seeing this as a extremely large baby bottle that was lost and had envisioned a giant baby coming over the hill coming to retrieve it from this place - its large playground. Laughing as it accidentally squashed things underneath its footing.
Anyhow we finally arrived at the castle, had lunch and then found ourselves entering in the exit! Strange how we missed the large signs saying entrance and an arrow pointing.
The first room we visited looked like a dining room with a large table , fire place and different pistols in
cabinets. We walked up the stairs to a landing area which had candles in glass holders on the banister and paintings on the wall. This was held up by imitation green marble posts. A few rooms later we came to a long corridor which had engraving in of different objects.




                                                This was over another fire place.





This was carved into one of the seats.




Another carving in the corridor.



We went in many other rooms such as the library and saw the church area from a balcony. One room we went in in a glass cabinet there was a beautiful embroidered coat, which you can see in the photo below.





There were a few rooms that I found too dark and I don't think this was helped by the dark furniture - I quickly browsed in then exited. Our tour came to an end so next was the dungeon area to explore. There were many designs on the locks that caught my attention and lamps.



            




The rain had eased off when we had finished in the dungeon area, so we ventured out to find the large chess board that we had spotted from one of the windows. After a few games on the lawn  I couldn't resist  the temptation of rearranging the horses in the chess set for photos.






                                                  I liked the rain drops on the pieces.







                                              This is one of my favourite shots.


The heavens reopened despite the now blue sky with light fluffy clouds, we took haven in a chair that was  placed  in one of the hedges. What seemed like an eternity it finally stopped and were able to go and explore the gardens. There were a few bronze sculptures  two of what looked like slave girls. As a piece of art I found them amazing, one in particular . I knew how I wanted an image of them to look like.
 I took many but this one is sadly spoilt by a small sun glare.









 I have kept the best photo I took for my collection, so this image isn't what Id call up to scratch.Never the less I think I accomplished to a point, how I wanted it to look. The last few photos are of the gardens I can't resist roses especially when they have rain on them, for me this is an added bonus for the photo showing their beauty even more.












The day had come to close everyone was getting ready to go home, we had arrived late there but time had simply flown by. I had enjoyed re-visiting this place and seeing inside the castle as once inside I had no recollection of seeing any of it as a child on my last trip.







No comments:

Post a Comment