Tuesday 11 October 2011

Iron Bridge 18.8.2011

I had been invited to join my family on a trip to Ironbridge Gorge Museum. I had heard a lot about what they had seen on a previous visit and was eager to see it all for myself. When we finally arrived, to me it was the strangest experience as we seemed to depart 2011 and open the doors to 1900s. I firstly had a cup of coffee with the family and off I went exploring with map in hand, joining the family back every so often.

My eyes had so much to take in I didn't really know where to start, I felt like someone doing the old green cross code advert looking left then right not wanting to miss experiencing anything. As I had been told that we had a time limit here, there was an option to change your money into currency of pennies and halfpennies but we decided not to as they also took our 21st century money.

 At first I was thinking it was like where the past and present collided, kind of like two worlds warped together. Then I thought how cool it must be like this on a film set, due to the fact that people were dressed up and going about what seemed like their every day life. What a job to wake up to every morning! The bobby was going about his duty calling in everywhere saying hello and asking locals everything in order Mr or Mrs whoever. Later the bobby also doubled as a chap in the pub getting everyone involved in a sing song while he played the piano.






                                                                  The local residents









The bobby on the beat " Everything in order"and the artist who can be found in the park.





                                                                   


                                                      One of the many Streets.








Shop windows.













Postman's bike.




This was upstairs in the post office - I really enjoyed it here and there was lots to see, such as Victorian and George post boxes, cycles and motor bikes and lots of information of how it all started.




Signs and a cart.











Holly.





This is Holly -  I think that was her name? Having a rest before she goes out to show visitors around on a cart.



Machinery.




There were so many industries, coal, blacksmith, cobblers - the list goes on, all with their tools on display and mock up work areas.





Scrap and cobblers.








Paid transport around the village .








Flowers and bees.









The bees were plentiful and I was lucky enough to get a few photos with them on the flowers.


Eventually we headed down to the bottom area by the fair, down here there was also a place to have refreshments, so I had my usual craving of baked potato with tuna and salad. Which was exellent by the way - I enjoyed every morsel.

 We walked back up the hill and bumped into some of the others that had come on our trip, they were all heading to the knees up in the pub as the last stop before going back on the bus. This gave me a little more time to see more places, the hour soon went before we all reassembled and got back on the mini bus before stopping off at a garden centre on the way home.

 I had enjoyed this trip for the experiences of having a short glimpse into the past on so many different levels, such as costumes, mock up of inside shops and industries and seeing artifacts from that period. I can honestly say that my senses were well and truly stimulated, but it was still nice to be able to get back to the 21st centry.



Click on link below to see more on offer.


No comments:

Post a Comment