Thursday 13 October 2011

NWMAT open day at Bersham Colliery 25.9.2011



( The next comments are my thoughts of the on going debate in the news. I also held these prior to joining NWMAT.)


I like many was saddened and disgusted to find out that the landmark that had stood representing the memories of hard work and lives lost to so many miners was going to be vanishing from our sight.
It is so much more than what is also known as the "slag heap" or waste tip.

I remember when we lived in the village - the sight and smell of the red glows of sulphur burning. On a hot summer's day it would become overbearing for me and suffocating. Over the years there were many stories in the paper of how dry cracks were appearing, small slides of it moving. People were drawn to the attention that it was becoming so unsafe that dogs were being lost - victims of these cracks . The new part of the bypass A483 was being built and they were getting scared that there may even be a landslide on to the bypass below causing an accident.

When information is all put together the picture becomes larger and  an understanding is formed. Personally I'd like to see it stay but would compromise in the interest of safety if it was lowered just like Hafod bank to a safe level. Still keeping the memory of all miners alive with a monument of some kind.
To just take it down and have nothing, is I feel, nothing more than  an insult to so many men who we relied upon in risking their lives for all  industry that relied so much on coal.




It was hard to believe that 12 months had passed by since I was at this event. I had seen it advertised in the Wrexham Leader and was eager to go due to it being what I thought the last time that I would be able to walk up the coal bank.
Rhostyllen and Bersham are sentimental places to me that bring back many happy memmories throughout my childhood. My Taid ( Grandfather ) had worked at Bersham mine many years ago, when I stayed with my Grand parents on summer holidays from school at 10pm every night I'd hear the hooter sounding. In the still of the night it seemed to echo across the village.
As time passed we eventually returned to live at Rhostyllen, I would quite often walk up the dry mound to reach what I'd see as my haven. I loved being up there, looking down on the world below. It seemed like it was my time and space and down below everything moved like busy little ants all dictated to by the clocks hands of time. The view was and still is breathtaking - as time went on of course it was clear to see that the landscape was slowly changing. Houses were being built and even the town had its new landmarks.



The first person that I had met back then was Margaret the Secretary. We chatted for ages about different industries in the area. I joined the Trust there and then and have enjoyed so many things being part of this group. I have learnt so much from other members about the industry, machinery, their memories and stories. I have experienced trips down mines and felt closer by this experience to help me piece together what I have been told. Kindness, warmth and closness of the group has also helped to restore my faith in humans.


The open day event included display tables from different mines and artefacts, a tombola stall, film shows,  guided walks up to the top of the colliery bank by ex-miners, refreshments and a chance to talk with the trust.


BBC Wales News team was there to document the event by interviewing Trust members Alan, John and Dennis.




                             A short film of the day to music ( by Kathy.)





                                          Margaret the secretary standing up.
             Mag is one half of the tombola stall, Jen is the other, sadly not in the photo.



                                         
                                                  The Gresford table display.



                                       

  
                 
                                                 The Point of Ayr table.

      John, in the orange, worked in the Point of Ayr colliery which is by Prestatyn.




          Jen talks about the Trust and John gives us an insight of mining ( Film by Katy ).



                  Photography display by me Dawn Field of Bersham Colliery.




                                     
                                   Another one of my displays of different collieries.



                                                            Artefacts table




                                                 The proto type Rescue set.




                                                  Different styles of Mining lamps.



                                    This plaque is of the North Wales Mining Office.







Katy, Frank and sorry don't know the other chap who is in the middle.




 Raymond and Frank with John in the orange NWMAT.




 
A small group being taken up the bank by ex miner Keith aka ( Keith Tattoo ) in orange.




Keith in orange talking with one of the many small groups that made the trip to the top of the bank.



At the end of the day

A collection of £41.38 was made towards the Gleision Disaster
The tombola raised £78.50 for the NWMAT trust
Sales from the dvd films raised £90.00 for the trust
and finally
There were kind donations given £15.58 also towards the trust.


 
 To find out more about NWMAT please click on the link.






No comments:

Post a Comment