Wednesday 16 May 2012

Break away

Over the May bank holiday a chance for me to go away for a few days cropped up. I grabbed the opportunity with both hands and off I went. It came at a good time really, because lately I have been a bit bogged down with being not well, university deadlines and I had started to feel caged in!I longed for the open spaces and that feeling of being free.
The first pace we came to was Machynlleth.
I had never been here before and there were lots of new things for me to take in. After browsing around a few shops we came across a stall outside in the main street which was selling home-made chocolate and cakes. Not being one to resist, I bought a slice of white chocolate cheesecake and after nibbling a few times at the chocolate sample I decided to buy a bar of it which was white chocolate with some kind of nuts in, with a piece of fruit on the top.
We had noticed up one of the side streets a scene that is normally seen in America - the Hollywood sign on a hill - this made me laugh because I was thinking if Hollywood can do it - why can't Wales?





The next thing that caught my attention was something that appealed to the child within me! Although maybe back then I didn't watch much of" Noddy" and his friends on TV I do remember having a cardboard stencil set that I used to use, which strangely enough I still have in my possession! X amount of years on!
When I saw this money collector outside the fish and chip shop, I fell in love with his vibrant colouring and couldn't resist the odd snap!






Once settled in our chosen spot in Fairbourne, I went  a short distance over the sand dunes and onto the beach. 









I couldn't have chosen a better time! The rain had stopped and the sun was setting and bringing Friday to a close. For some of my photos I was lucky enough to get a lonely fisherman in as a silhouette with the sunset behind him.





When trying to sleep, Friday night, it was very cold as where we were was very open. We got battered with the rain and the wind rocked me to sleep. On Saturday morning the decision was made to move somewhere more sheltered for the coming night!!
Once we were parked up we were surprisingly welcomed by pairs of very tame robins which came looking for food from us.






We walked over the wooden bridge which was for walkers and cyclists only, that ran alongside the railway track. The tide had gone out and once again we were exposed to the elements. My coat was fastened tightly with the collar turned up! Mind you this didn't stop the wind getting to my very core! When we got to the other side we passed the closed toll booth.
Wandering through Barmouth in and out of the few shops, we came across a shop selling photo-printed canvases of the area and one in particular caught our attention. We asked how to get to this Panoramic walk and we collected our food supplies before we set off for the walk.
We followed directions to a small lane between the Indian Takeaway and the Pharmacy and we had been warned that it led to a steep walk.
There are steep walks and there are steep walks! personally, after initially getting over the shock and having forgotten my hiking stick the prospect of me getting up this hill,crawling on my hands and knees seemed to be an easier option!
We made our way slowly up the hill, having rest stops every so often. Every time I thought I was at the top - there was further to go! Making the effort was worthwhile as the scenery was picturesque, typical of Wales!





We followed a different track down stopping to take photos at every opportunity and not far from the bottom I could not miss the chance of taking images of chimneys.






Coffee craving got the better of me and a nice little place was found that had the unusual idea of using painted, numbered stones as table order identities. Once I'd had my fix I also had a photo session.















I walked to the junction where to the right of me were benches in a large sitting area. I had noticed already a marble sculpture and had wanted to come back to take some photos. It was unusual because of its shape and I had never seen marble that was corroded by  the sea  before. The name of the statue was "The Last Haul". Apparently Barmouth Council had commissioned a local carver, to celebrate the Millennium. The piece of carrera marble was brought up in the 1980s by divers from an 18th Century shipwreck. 







The cheeky seagulls were entertaining as they eagerly watched the people eating, hoping for left overs.












This other cheeky seagull seamed to be taunting the people sitting down as he was on the bin next to where they were sat. Due to its size they seemed to get unsure of his next move.










Due to the tide being out it was quite visible to see decay of a few wooden structures placed on the beach, this also seemed to be another good perching area for the birds.Time then had arrived to brave the cobweb - sweeping wind.There were a few images that I wanted to capture on the way back. The railway bridge being one of them, I then decided to take the opportunity of using the diamond shapes in the design and having them as an advantage of being a frame for the scene behind.










The next view is of Ty Gwyn Tower. It is 15Th Century and was once owned by Henry Tudor, who later became the first Tudor monarch called King Henry VII  of England. The lower floor is now a restaurant and the upstairs is a Museum that has a shipwreck theme.







Sunday morning was upon us and another chance to discover more.We parked in a different area within the vicinity of both places and it was a nice surprise to see the variations of blue and white fluffy clouds.






The tide was out once again so a walk on the beach was in order,this went right around to the Harbour View Cafe, Fairbourne. This became another photography chance and at the start of the walk there were many sea fishermen. 





This image looks like he has caught the dog!





Seaweed





The skies in some areas were rapidly changing into what looked like storm clouds.





I couldn't resist taking this image of the pattern of the wood knot.





Further along the beach I came across the strange sight of scattered lonely mushrooms.







I finally made it to the cafe in time to see the miniature train arrive, a welcomed strong coffee and what looked like a dry, turning scone once it was opened . Energy was replenished for the walk back,





This was the spot where we on the Friday night, open to all of the elements.







Just over half way from where we started another stop was in order, this was in a place next to a small golf course. Initially when we arrived others had just left and dishes were left, of course this attracted the seagulls and at times felt like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock's film "The Birds".  It became very entertaining just to see the gulls edging closer and closer to the leftover food while we were sat there. There was one moment when on the roof of the establishment gulls were sliding down the roof on the tiles. Although we were very open targets all went well and no one got poop hit, there were times when they were swooping closely and thought a hit was inevitable!





There was an opening to get back on to the beach and I'm glad this path was taken as it gave me another chance to find more images.







Patterns of movement in the sand.







I really liked the colours and patterns on these stones.









I couldn't decide between these two images so I put both up.





With plans made to what we would do next we all moved a few inches from where we were the 1st night. Due to it being a beautiful blue sky day, the sun was blessing us and I was able to get some images of the changing light on the mountains. 














Just before the tide came in again I was able to get images of cloud reflections in the water.













The more the tide came in the more I enjoyed skimming stones on it counting my accomplishments by how many bounces I managed to get.To end the evening a real camping experience was had by having jacket potatoes cooked on the fire in foil, accompanied by variations of tastes such as salad, omelets, salad and tuna. Washed down with the exquisite taste of my new found alcoholic drink Crabbie's! Darkness fell and the end of the break and I took one last look at the campfire and my few last photos. 





 The bright yellow part in the fire reminds me of the Phantom of the Opera mask with a cheeky tongue pulled.



Please click the link below to find out more.








No comments:

Post a Comment