Wednesday 11 May 2011

A summary of the last module pack given.

                                        



The last module pack that I was given and have completed, I found firstly for me personally a little over whelming in the aspect that maybe I was spoilt for choice. I think that I would have coped better by having three at a time. With my style of learning I have difficulty in producing what I see visually and then producing what Id like to achieve as a solid form. Many times I find that I have to research images of what I see as a helping tool  and then I take parts out of many images to then produce one piece of work. This takes a lot of time and energy in working out my final images of a piece of work.
               I also find that my creativity can be a waiting game for me which I find extremely annoying when time scales have to be met. Creativity seems to be something that I find I am not able to do on demand. I find that on so many occasions I can also become too analytical in reading to much into and confusing myself with briefs. Maybe in hind sight this may not be a bad practice as I tend to try and cover many angles that may need to be looked at, being too self critical can and is a hurdle for me to over come. Another is trying the impossible of being a perfectionist, as this seems to be one of life's goals just to keep you on your toes, and an impossible mission to accomplish.  I am trying to replace this with the compromise  of personal satisfaction instead. This is why I appreciate the help that I have in place, so my fixations can be recognised and a different side of analysing things is discussed. This helps me to reach my full potential.
             Despite everything I have thoroughly enjoyed each task and appreciated them for what the learning out comes have been. Each module I found took me to a new level of achievement in learning how to tackle new aspects of photography that may never have been brought to the forefront of my mind. Images can quite easily be taken for granted - it just needs that little something to draw your attention to it.
 The work that I have produced I feel that I have done best to my ability and have pleasantly surprised myself. There have been so many areas that have captured my enthusiasm that I have re - explored some modules.  There is a fridge magnet that I have at home and I find the caption very true of me it reads " I'm in my own world its OK they no me hear ". In reference to this, I feel that I do on many times, find it easier to be in my own world of viewing and seeing, visualising, appreciating and analysing the many things that surround us in every day life. I call this my child's inner view of the world. To me it brings an inner peace, comfort, a sense of devilment in a good way, humour and if I'm honest I feel lucky to have this. Despite this, inquisitiveness can have its down falls. I just like to question many things, and I then presume that anyone I ask knows the answers.
The more I'm exposed to the university environment, the more I am  tending to build a picture in my mind that looks like a family tree with the word Photography at the top. The lines then come off as genres with new doors/avenues of exploration and categories.
I feel that what I have learnt within the briefs and the visual research that I have conducted has helped me to understand a little more about the photographers and appreciate their style.


The films that I have watched many have been enlightening an visually amazing  - some of these were the Koyaanisquaa films  which I managed to find the other two on You Tube. I enjoyed many others which were shown earlier such as " Daily motion - we have decided not to die" which I thought was a very moving piece of cinematography.

As the days roll by just like the sand slowly falling into the waiting glass below of the egg timer, I feel that time is passing me by. Its also feels like I'm standing still and the outer space around me is spinning faster and faster a blur to the human eye. Just like that child confronted in the candy shop with so many choices before them I too stare with my eyes wide open trying to comprehend how I can accomplish all that Id like to explore and learn about within my environment. Id like to explore clay stop  animation, how to be able to colour images in with water colours, learn about filming software to name a few. Although there has been a few lessons on filming with "Hollywood Dave"  I have felt too bogged down with  the completion of other tasks to be able to commit and fully be able to attend and progress in these lectures. I am  starting to feel a little left behind and  that a pool of knowledge has been a missed opportunity so far.  The other area I feel that I am missing out in is studio work , again due to the fact that I am completing other work. Slowly I'm starting to feel like I am stuck on a conveyor belt and can't get off to try all the other things. Hopefully next year will be different?
 The help I find within the college is around, but I sometimes am slow to ask for any and then getting a convenient time slot can be difficult. Sometimes I don't finish tasks as quickly as others do which frustrates me, and then it doesn't leave me as much time for experimenting and  accessing other peoples' knowledge as I would like to. This is a double edged sword for me as I  like to spend loads of time trying things out for the modules, but I don't want to hand in shoddy work - or be behind schedule so I have to forfeit other areas sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment