Monday 9 May 2011

Comments and pics on the last module pack ( assignments completed ) part 1

 Storyboard - commercial

Out of the four choices given, my ideas were stronger for the egg advert. I took into account the audience I was going to target, which were children. I produced cartoon-type family members to try and put across the convenience and nutrition content of an egg.
I wanted to make it colourful, fun yet a serious message at the same time. I found it hard to try and promote eggs in a snack form that would be a healthier option than some take away snacks on the market at the moment. The only option I could think of was to mind-map all different forms of egg snacks and then choose the healthiest.
 I used a Scotch egg because in my mind I could see the cartoon character and this started me off thinking more into the aspect of "Eggs on the run" as quick and easy foods. It was easier to incorporate family members and their interests into the campaign. Their logo "Another Little Miracle" I also managed to incorporate into the advert which I was pleased about.
Having looked at the brief I felt that I had covered all aspects that were specifically required.

Photography - 1 of 6 assignments

1      Shooting for Stock

Having researched the title I was more wise as to what was required! My only problem was what to choose? I wanted something that would spark my interest so I explored church windows for this due to the fact that visually I find them so interesting and individual to each church and even to the actual designers of the windows.
This was an area that I felt others had not necessarily been observant in enough, to explore further.
Within this assignment I wanted to draw peoples' attention to the fact that they are works of art within their own right.
I concentrated on the following churches: All Saints' Gresford, Rossett, Holt, Chirk, Oswestry and Wrexham Parish churches. Within all these churches I did not find windows that were exactly the same, but two were designed by a named designer - Jane Gray - and they were obviously more modern than many of the others. The one in St. Giles that caught my eye was a modern window commemorating The Welch Fusiliers.




                                                          A window in Gresford church.





                                                     A morning sun adding to the reflection.






                                                           A window in Rossett church




                                            A carving outside the entrance of Rossett church.





                                                             A window in Holt church.




                                                             Another window in Holt.





                                              A beautiful carving of The Last Supper at Holt.



                                                     
                                                             A window in Chirk church.




                   
                                                      A window by Jane Gray 1994 in Chirk.






           An amazing sculpture, as a piece of art work I have fallen in love with this. Its a must see every time I visit.



                                        This was the 1st time that I had got a photo from the front.




                                                         A window in Owestry church.






                By Jane Gray 2000 in Oswestry church. The vicar told me that Jane liked this window so much that she concealed a love heart somewhere in the design.





                                                           Window in Oswestry Church



                                                                                Oswestry





                                                  The Welch Fusilliers window in Wrexham church



                                                                     St. Giles, Wrexham


                                                   
                                                                     St. Giles in Wrexham






2.     Joiner

This looked so hard to understand what to do.  However, I was really surprised that once I understood what it was all about I really got into this. This first of all appealed to my tendency to try to organise things and put everything into order and taking pictures in sequence was interesting to me. It felt like I had encountered a new way of doing jigsaws - kind of like a new revolutionary idea.
I was fixated with the idea of wanting to do Whittington Castle because of the light coloured stone, the moat and trees. I had envisioned all this with a blue sky background and I feel that I have achieved this.
I wanted the challenge of achieving my vision and I felt that doing something on a  smaller scale would not have captured my enthusiasm.
This inspired me to go to try to produce another one. The opportunity then arose for me to create a joiner for Llangollen Fringe as part of an exhibition with the camera club that I belong to. This year it is 1000 years of Llangollen history so our club decided that each member would choose a topic in connection with the title. I chose Collen Church.
On a recent visit to The Plassey, inspired by my other 2 joiners, I decided to create a joiner using the beautiful blue sky, a wooden sculpture and the dovecote in the grounds.




          
                                                               Collen church, LLangollen.







                                                                          The Plassey.


               

3. Typologies

This threw me because of the title! It took me a while to understand the concept of what was wanted - even after researching and viewing examples of what was expected of me.
I explore many ideas but kept being on the wrong path. One that I did start was to photograph emblems of car logos but due to the position and colours of the cars, my reflection in the bodywork became a problem in the photos. I had to think of another idea which led me to concentrate on a less shiny part of the car, hence the use of hub caps!This still linked into the use of emblems or car logos but in a more
interesting way, incorporating the shapes and patterns used in the wheel spokes. I wanted to acknowledge the fact that car designers an manufacturers spend a lot of time incorporating the design of wheels. name logos into their products which have become well know due to the use of these logos.




                                                                       Vauxhall





Porsche





Volkswagen.



Guess what???









Mercedes Benz









1 comment:

  1. A great selection of stained glass windows. I agree these should be viewed as works of art in their own right, and are often overlooked.
    The hub caps, together with the format you have presented them in makes for an interesting abstract collection. Ged.

    ReplyDelete