Tuesday 10 May 2011

Comments and pics on the last module pack ( assignments completed ) part 2

4                                                                   Street Photography



                These are taken in Paris.




This is a favourite of mine - I like the look of contemplation.





                                                    A typical look I thought of impatience.




                                       This made me smile - the care free laid back approach to life.





                                                                Peek a boo I can see you!





                                                         Dog tired after a hard days work!




                              I liked the relationship between the two, in a protecting way of the adult.




                                               I hope my boss doesn't recognise me skiving!!





                                                   I bet its a woman they're looking at!






                                            They could of taken it to a car bootie or to be recycled!





                                  I found the body language between these two entertaining.





                     These are taken in Wrexham.








                                                  See no evil, hear on evil and speak no evil!!





                                                        Just let me get home expression.





I really liked the opportunity to explore this aspect of photography as it was an area that I hadn't even thought about. Confidence, picking the right moment and praying you hadn't been seen doing it were a few barriers to over come.
I'd like to carry on and explore this further and maybe I have to find the environments that tolerate this intrusion. Despite research findings, I feel that not always monochrome does the picture justice and that is why I some of my chosen entries have been a mixture. For example, I love  the photo that I took of a woman eating chips - compare it to the colour version and to me the monochrome appears flat and not as interesting. An example of this statement is included below.
Trying to find the right mix of invasion and not letting society make you feel awkward for taking photos of children and the innocence of doing that has now been made to make you feel perverted in a way. Despite this there are still so many exquisite photo opportunities for capturing children's innocence that they could become lost to the photographer.













5                                                                 Still life.


      Coins


I initially used coins to explore the colour relationship between gold, silver and bronze. I found finding a way to display the coins a little complicated for what I had imagined so I moved on to explore how i could pile the coins up and make them interesting, visually. I do not think I quite managed to portray exactly what I envisioned.















The thought process for the next 2 pictures. I thought, were a bit of an epiphany for me. What I wanted to do, but I don't think you can see it very well, is that as you look at the picture, from top to bottom, the 2p coins in the middle are shiny, new coins. These are the new design for British coinage. The coins in the centre going from left to right are the old issue of coinage and show the Prince of Wales' feathers. The outer side to the right of the centre row are the duller, first issue coin with the young Queen Elizabeth face. To the left of the centre row are the 2nd issue of the Queen's face and appear slightly duller.
The 1p coins to the right of the center are the new edition and to the left are the older ones.
The 5p coins are the earlier design, like the ones and twos.  
The 5p coins are the 2nd to last coin that I placed in position to complete the Union Jack flag. To me  I was representing the flag with the coins in age and design issue.






To try and explain the picture below, the smaller triangular inserts are all pound coins but I have laid them out to show the differences between the designs issued for Wales, Scotland and England. There are 2 sections for England and the differences are in the 3 lions and the shields used. My collection of Welsh £1 coins are showing the Welsh dragon and my Scottish coins show the thistle and the crown.
In the point of all of the triangles I have used the last and the latest issue of the Queen's face.



  
                                               A lot of money went into the making of this!



        Coal.

I thought this was another good idea. All the carvings in the pictures are made from coal - and have been "Made in North Wale"s underneath!  One of the figures, the man with his butties in a snappin box, is the face of Ted Mackay, an ex miner and a well known figure from the industry.
 The lumps of coal - 1 is from the local Bersham Bank - another is from Apedale - the third is from  Caphouse Colliery at Wakefield  - try this link   http://www.ncm.org.uk/     one of the deepest mines in Europe. I went underground in Apedale and  Caphouse  with NWMAT, the North Wales Mining Association Trust, which I belong to. 




I like the shadows in this photo.





I have included in the background picture of the headgear at Bersham. I have put it in on purpose to pay homage to the working men at  Bersham.





              I have used the lighting to simulate what it would have been like working underground.




The images I have chosen.

I wanted to call this picture "Addictions". I wanted to include without going visually overboard, some items that I thought were more general like alcohol, tobacco and drugs. I had also included in other pictures other  addictions to prescription medicines and gambling . I did do some but I took them out. This was due to the fact that I became confused by the brief of either using natural or man made items. I think I was being too literal when trying to interpret. It took me ages to decide what to do - even though I really wanted to do this task. I enjoyed this task and it would probably be something I would try again. It made me think about where to place the light to get the best effect. I used a make-shift studio at home and experimented with lighting.
















6      Human landscape

After doing some research, with reference to Bill Brandt in the brief, I got a little confused about exactly what was expected. Once I had discussed this with a tutor it became a bit more clearer and I made some decisions about what I was going to experiment with and then produce.
I found this brief quite challenging due to the fact that it was something that I had never contemplated before.
I did enjoy the experimentation with lights and taking pictures of body parts so that they were not recognisable as specific parts. To help me achieve the outcome I have cropped some pictures. Below are a selection of the cropped versions but not to the standard for completion. To hand my best work in I still need to work on them a little more.






















































No comments:

Post a Comment