Tuesday 17 May 2011

How I have found the first year now that is is comming to an end?

I can't really comprehend that the year has ended and this may be due to the fact that the academic year is  different to what I'm use to. It took me a while to settle in due to a totally different environment, the pace of everything and seeing so many other people every day on a larger scale. I have been grateful to student support for everything they have helped me with, without this everything would of been so much harder. Linda, my helper no 2, and my main helper Janet have both been exceptionally supportive and encouraging.
                 In so many ways It does feel like a second home  but at certain times and in certain places I do feel more safer than in other areas .
 Most of the lectures I have enjoyed and the talks we have had from different people, including Futures Week. It's just that as I have written before, I find keeping still and concentration hard at times.
Trips I have gone on have been LLandudno for Freshers Week, Liverpool directive studies, Stoke for animation and not forgetting my first ever trip abroad  to Paris for photography and they have all been really interesting and educational in more ways than one.
                 I find that many of the other students within Regent St. are really friendly and do acknowledge others. This may be due to the fact of the environment being small,also a few of the others that are in different medias from Freshers Week stop and chat. The lady in the art shop and the domestics are really friendly too, whereas in the main campus its mostly the 3rd floor staff in student support, the ladies in both coffee shops and a few domestic ladies that make the effort to  talk to you. Despite this there is the usual early morning coffee drinkers that congregate and acknowledge each other. Oh not forgetting two on the reception that are always friendly.
                         The assignments we have been given I have enjoyed. They have all challenged and stimulated my cravings for brain activity in so many ways. We have had quite a mixture, the adverts to do, story boards too I have enjoyed and found fun. I have always been fascinated by how they have gone through the thought process to achieve what we see as an advertisement. So many times I have enjoyed watching an advert for the entertainment and construction factor of it.
                          Filming - I guess the amount of planning and preparation that goes into achieving a 5 to 10 min film I hadn't anticipated and many times due to long periods of concentration needed on  certain tasks within this area my concentration span was limited. Despite this the teams that I had joined to work in  had shown their dedication to these tasks in the work that was produced and these included the following films ( The Spy Who Chased Me, See John Run, Dark Symmetry and the latest The Wrong Way).
                          The Audacity program for making a conversation out of many to sound like one is full of different connotations and was really cool to use. This I really enjoyed learning about and it has then enabled me to look for sound effects not only for the movie but in the decades slide show we produced.
                            At times I found the briefs a little confusing and changeable which was disorientating because I thought that I had got the gist of a task when explained, but then this seemed to change into wanting something else achieved within the brief.
                            The studio work I enjoyed especially in a small group as it doesn't feel so intimidating. I like this work because when your subject relaxes you see their personality come out and you see the different sides to them. You wouldn't see this in a larger group. I am hoping to revisit this area before we start again next term.
I enjoyed the lectures that we had, mainly due to their content, but not always their delivery. I have also visited some of the websites that were recommended at the lectures and I enjoyed looking through them as part of my general research. I have yet to visit and watch the Ted talks online.
I've missed our earlier sessions when we discussed and viewed  other students work as I enjoyed these as they showed me how other students had interpreted their briefs. Despite this statement, we have had a critique yesterday and it was great to see how other people have used film and music.

No comments:

Post a Comment