Thursday 7 April 2011

Wednesday - Paris

By morning I was getting tired of eating bread and longed for a real coffee fix! We went out walking and exploring again and this time I was more on slow and stop. The heat and thirst was making me sluggish.


Out side the Pomadieu Centre was strange yet cool. This is most probably the desired effect that they wanted when it was built.





We didn't go up due to the fact that I didn't want to waste time queueing so I was quite happy just sitting outside.
The Place De La Republique was like a big roundabout with many sculptures on it. One in particular that I liked was of a bronze lion which appeared larger than life. Right at the top of the sculpture was an important looking geezer! Probably Napoleon! Underneath him were 2 figures made out of what looked like off white stone. Also the plaques on the side of this statue looked brilliant - in 3D - but I was annoyed to see that even here they had graffiti. Not far away were tents that were occupied by homeless people.





                                              

At Notre Dam,  I remembered seeing a picture of a gargoyle with his head in his hands and I didn't realise that it was here, until I saw a postcard with the same image on it on sale outside a nearby shop.  I tried to find the gargoyle on the outside of the cathedral but to no avail. I felt that to really appreciate the building I'd have to look at it closely through binoculars for over an hour. I couldn't help but marvel at the many sculptures on the outside of the building, the detailing and placing of them all seemed to be meticulous, especially around the fancy stonework at the entrances.




Not far from here I found the most amazing water fountain. It had a sculpture of a winged angel wearing armour. Also there were 2 serpents (made up of more than 1 animal)spouting water. I stood in awe taking in every detail. I like angels and it seemed strange to see one out of character as this one seemed to be really glorifying the fact that he was successful in battle. What a shame there is graffiti as well.


               
                                                                     


                                           


The last place we looked at was The Louvre. It was such a grand building that it reminded me of The Houses Of Parliament in London, but on a much larger scale. Close up it didn't resemble what I had envisioned!



At this stage I came to the conclusion that I relied a lot on TV for my visual input! I thought I had seen it in the film "The Da Vinci Code".  In what looked like a courtyard before us were 2 baby pyramids and 1 large one but I was so disillusioned that it didn't look as I thought it would do, that it I lost interest quite quickly of what marvels I was actually looking at!



There were many people sitting down by large stone water  pools and it was here that I took what I think was a great set of pictures about young children and couples. I was so thirsty, and my knees were hurting after so much walking about, that I spent quite a lot of time sitting down doing a bit of street photography. If there had been sand there I think I would have had a mirage - I was that thirsty!!

No comments:

Post a Comment