Thursday 14 April 2011

Thoughts about the Paris trip

The over all experience was a well cultured one on so many levels, actually seeing in the physical form the  sights I had only seen on T.V or as photos. These don't in so many ways prepare you for the realism when being a solid part of the environment yourself. The scale and style of so many buildings, sculptures, the Eiffel Tower as a piece of engineeering, bridges and arches, makes it difficult for many people to try and even comprehend that even with today's technology, we might not produce the same results.  I find it mind blowing  the arduous hours of labour and time that it must have taken.

  In many ways nightlife in Paris reminded me of how the nightlife in our own cities such as Manchester may be .









                                             







 The segregations of small communities within the city who all seem to live in harmony in close proximity.This always beggars the question in my mind to why people start fighting and wars.

I have been fascinated by what is called The Flat Iron  building in America for quite some time and  the nearest I felt that I had come to seeing this was in Liverpool, where there stands a similar looking shaped one. In Paris the building were all tall and wherever I looked so many looked like the Flat Iron building. I marvelled at  the design of them and feel lucky to have seen what resembles the real one in America.


                                                                  

 In hindsight I think that I should have taken the opportunity of visiting the Salvador Dali exhibition, as I like a lot of his work. This is somewhere I would go back and visit -  it seems like this trip could of been a preparation for a return. Yes I would go back but with this I'd have to connect myself with conditions, these would have to be that I would have to have someone with me again. It would be nice to go down on a train or something faster but beggars can't be choosers, the journey felt so so long that's probably because it was.
My learner support Linda on this trip was excellent, everything was at my pace and luckily  could map read for navigation. Linda also got us  both to all of the places we saw, helped me with money conversions, ordering food, language difficulties and made sure I didn't get lost in the crowd. Thanks to this support  my time in Paris was made into a less of a worry as I had anticipated it was going to be. I even enjoyed the smaller things that I saw that most would normally ignore or take for granted, these strangely included what I had been wanting to see close up for so long  - a wind turbine! There was a part of the journey that had so many close up in the landscape that I wanted to freeze this picture in my mind. The other was being close enough to see an aeroplane coming in to land! My eyes nearly popped out of my head at this view, the size of the plane was enormous. To my surprise I found that the birds were just like what I saw in Wales pigeons, blackbirds even magpies.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - love those night time photographs, Dawn - and enjoyed reading all your Paris blogs!

    ReplyDelete