Thursday 7 April 2011

Paris - March 19- 21st. 2011

Monday 19th.
I seemed to still be in a dream world regarding where I was going and was just following what I was supposed to be doing - getting up early was a little strange but I was wide awake.
My food on the way down was what I call "typical of me". I had defrosted some veggie ham the night before and on the way to uni I bought some baps from the garage! Also I packed some crisps and snax. I started to tuck into these while waiting in Dover for the ferry because we all had to wait and by this time  it was 12 or 1 o'clock!
I was glad I had bought a travel neck cushion as I managed to sleep on and off, between watching DVDs on the way down, which I had to have the endings explained to me! I had known that I had fallen asleep due to my twitching and jumping waking me up!

The ferry. I guess I was a little naive due to the word "ferry"! I was expecting something that I had envisioned in Liverpool on The Mersey. That was a large boat to me!! I thought it was going to be like I had seen on the TV. It was a strange sensation to me as walking around was like going up hill, so after a looking round the inside of the boat we went on deck.

This was even stranger to think now that I seemed to be suspended between two places, below me many depths of water. We were all holding the same fate in this journey!
I stood on deck absorbing this strange experience  - the seagulls were following the boat which was cool, but it was too cold and windy to take my camera out!


As we came into dock, I felt a slight disorientation due to the fact that the sight before me was an extremely long pier, a lighthouse, men fishing and a golden sandy beach. It felt as if we had gone off course and were at a different part of Europe such as in Majorca, Spain or Malta!

 I didn't realise the smells of Paris until the second day really. I guess I was too busy taking in the new environment and trying to recognise things that I had seen on TV for a little  comfort and familiarity. The smell did tend to depend on the time of day and where we were. Parts of the day there was a strong smell of urine and this was a mixture from the dogs and the homeless, due to observing someone urinating against a tree by the hotel. Dog excrement also became apparent at times. Car and motorbike fumes seemed to fill the air. This made me think of, and realise why there is smog in New York! As time went on the extremely sweet sickly smell of perfume and cologne hit my nostrils and made me feel suffocated.

No comments:

Post a Comment