Tuesday 24 January 2012

Lock off camera and Panning ( make into ad posters )



LOCKED OFF MOTION

Research and my mind mapping ideas

The collages are of a selection of locked-off motion shots.
We were asked to choose one which we could make into an advertising poster. We also had to make up a slogan to accompany the ad we were producing. I chose the roundabout photo because I felt that there was more choice in what slogan I could use and logos I could produce.
At first I thought it would be a good idea to make use of the England flag colours of red white and blue to advertise something British. I found logos of Ben Sherman and British Airways. I also had to think about the picture so I changed my theme to “Adventure”. I made this connection due to sometimes people use the fair ground as adrenalin junkies seeking a thrill. With the company they also do exactly that and I had come across their website when I was looking to find something new and exciting I wanted to experience.
Once I had made the decision of which logo to use I then went through the process of finding a slogan. Deciding what font, colours to use and where to place them. Once I had completed many variations of the ad I then placed them in a collage to show the process that I had gone through to take me to make my final decision.  







Four images taken in lock off camera



 


The many variations show the ideas that I had about the different fonts, colours and where I wanted to place them. Sometimes, it’s not until you actually see your ideas as a solid form that you can then see if they do or don’t work. From what I had produced it became easier for me to quickly eliminate what I felt didn’t feel and look right.
I also wanted to take full advantage of the fence and use it as a kind of place where adverts may be tied to. As a designer I feel there is also a responsibility with you, that in order for anything to sell you need to have visuals that attract people and encourage them to stop and look at the ad.  I find that I do tend to pass posters and flyers that contain a lot of writing, many people are visual and curious about what they see not necessarily what they read. Isn’t this then the way forward to help design ads?
I chose my final poster because of its simplicity of design, no overcrowding of writing and eye- distracting colour. I think I used the fence to its best advantage and it has become a non-too obvious addition to the photo. On some of the ones rejected I had over-used other different yet similar company ads together. On others the fence was not made full use of and created an obvious space.












Chosen image with logo and slogan











Final chosen image







Panning camera

Logos researched and slogans thought about:

I had spent much time on panning and when I sifted through the many shots, the collage was the best that I had. I had not intentionally   placed the subjects off centre and this I then felt was a good thing, due to it giving me leeway to show speed. I find many categories of cars stunning visually and exciting to photograph. This was also the reason why I chose the Lotus. Through choosing this I then limited myself to researching logos to accompany the ad.
I then wrote down ideas for slogans to accompany the advert after relooking at some on the list. I realised that some were already in use today with other ads. The aim of my advert was to try to sell the car to people from all walks of life and not limiting it to one particular group. After all we all have dreams of what we like no matter who we are.
I then tried to think that if I owned this car what statement would I want others to be thinking. That’s when I came up with “More than just a car”! This is what it would be to me. It would be a symbol of personal growth which would bring me pride in myself and a sense of personal achievement.








Three images in panning camera












Chosen image with logo and slogan









Chosen image with logo and slogan




 


On the previous page I have tried out various positing of the logo and slogan. I only tried a few different colours. One I tried was to get the writing the same colour as the car because I felt that due to the many different colours in the photo it would have looked a little sickly with yet another one and the focus would be taken away from the car.
Another idea I had was to try to make the yellow logo look as if it was the sun in the sky and making the writing look as if it was a part of the road. All of the variations helped me to make a choice by a process of elimination. Although I initially liked the idea of the large Lotus logo, when I looked at it more closely it began to take the focus off the car which would have defeated the whole purpose of the ad.
I choose the poster I did because the black logo tied in nicely with the writing colour. I wanted to take advantage of the dead space in the top of the photo. This was caused by the sky on the day I shot this photo being drab and dreary - initially not a great day to go out and take photos! The writing I chose was to indicate the progress of speed and this I felt worked well by giving it a better visual appearance. This was all achieved by using elements of the Picasa and Photoshop computer software which have different ways of using fonts, sizes and angles. 




No comments:

Post a Comment