Tuesday 8 July 2014

The Little red me Exhibition of work by Jian Ai - 11.6.2014


This exhibition was a mixture of paintings and a new installation





 I first saw Hillary's work a few years ago at university in a show of other students work. I was very drawn to it because I felt a personal connection, which is something I look for when appreciating art work. The small red figure in her paintings remind me of what can sometimes be a lonely path in life, the figure representing our own individual journey. 







This is an extract from Jian Ai 's personal statement of her work:

"In my paintings you will probably find little narratives, strong emotions or illustrative poems. I love beautiful scenery, so landscape is my favourite platform from which I can express my feelings.

I like the smooth texture of oil paint, which makes me feel free when I am painting. I also enjoy painting gesturally and loosely; this way I can express emotion boldly and freely.


I met God after coming to the United Kingdom from China. Heaven is the most beautiful shrine in my mind - which is full of joy, passion, and freedom. I paint the way to heaven, seeking God.


The little churches, which feature in some of my paintings, represent a destination far away from earth. The little red figure is myself, on the way with a faithful heart. 


I like using striking contrast to intensify the emotion in painting, like the contrast between the vibrant warm and the dark cold colour. The purpose of this is to encourage and highlight that whatever distressful circumstances you are in, there is always hope and God is always there, helping you and protecting you." - Jian Ai, 2014











No comments:

Post a Comment