Monday 14 July 2014

The Garden Quarter Remembers Festival Chester - 5.7.2014



I had been looking forward to this event as I wasn't quite sure what to expect, It was a great Idea to commemorate the 100 year anniversary since World War I. I have taken a mixture of colour and sepia images, by using sepia I wanted to try and create a nostalgic look and feel. 


This piece of graffiti can be viewed in the main street





















This is what greeted me when I first arrived in the area. Hours of work must have gone into making this.


The above image is a close up of the needle work that is on the solider 


The Lord Mayor of Chester, Councillor Bob Rudd, leads the Parade 




The image above was the first of many that I took of people dressed in costume




The Jigsaw Theatre Company Performing 'The Emperor's New Clothes' at the Theatre in the Quarter


I enjoyed this production it was nice to see all the children's hard work shine; there were many witty moments.


I liked the expression on this girls face as she performed 


A brave solo performance by the boy above


This area was where, on four different occasions, street theatre could be seen



The lady above was involved in one of the acts






This act was not for the faint-hearted!

I had missed the chap above's performance, but managed to get some images of him at rest and play.




More people dressed in costume were spotted


I couldnt resist this shot, I dont think he saw me taking this one!




















Children in the audience enjoying the event in the sun


I was lucky enough to spot this couple posing for their photo to be taken by someone else


Great music from this band 


Dee Sign


I particularly like to watch these two as I liked the emotion they were showing in their faces when they signed to the lyrics of the song.


Link below for more information about Dee Sign Choir


This little fellow was so cute, but wasn't entered in the show


The local Community Support Officers came and made a appearance to show their support to the community


There was a certain point where it all got a little too much for this little girl


This little girl was looking very summery 


I had gone back down to the event for a short time and found kids - both young and old - having fun it was nice to see the community spirit and both generations enjoying themselves together!










I also spotted these chalk drawings on the road and pavement, that had been created by the children. I also took some in monochrome to bring out the detail. 



The Mayor enjoying the event


I couldn't resist taking photos of the Mayor's car - it was a Bentley. I was also trying to take advantage of the beautiful day and to photograph the reflections of the sky. 



This last image was taken in one of the streets close by, it is visually like going back in time with the style of the houses. The lamp in the image above remainded me of photos I had seen of olden times of lamp lighters.

Other performances were given by 

Blue coat school 

Charlotte Jones choir

Cambrian Queen 

Handbag of Harmonies




No comments:

Post a Comment