Thursday 16 January 2014

Liverpool Exhibition visits for M.A course 11.12.2013 (Pt 1)




I didn't really know what to expect in this exhibition and on arrival was quite surprised when I had discovered that I was to revisit familiar areas of the Gallery. The first room I visited is my favourite permanent exhibition. I like the craftsmanship and detail in the carving of the sculptures.


Sculpture Gallery 


Image taken from a larger piece called
 "The Sisters"





The sculpture above is titled 
"Love cherishing the soul,while preparing to torment it"



Titled " Secret Love" 

With this sculpture I like the way that cloth can be seen as transparent over the face 





"Puck"

When I visit  the Walker Art gallery, I always go to view the statue of Puck. I studied it in more detail as part of my B A course. When among these sculptures I strangely have the urge to gently touch the stone on some to feel the coldness of the stone.I like to study the "Puck " statue pictured above and below,  because the texture on the stone can, to me  in places almost  feel like it has a surface of dry skin.






"Bust of Peggy"

I found this sculpture very elegant and wonder was Peggy was as beautiful in the flesh?





"Highland Mary"



"Menander and Posidippus"

It was the light on these that drew my attention to the figures



"Danaid"


"Eve"


"Psalter"



"St Jerome Reading in a Cave"


The image above was very different in the respect of it being hung on the wall as a 3D image.  I had not seen a piece of sculpture hung on a wall as if it was a painting before. The craftsmanship in the detail of what looked like small figures, is what then attracted my attention. They appear to be like the Oriental carved figures that are usually carved out of ivory. 

17th Century Room 






"Athlete Struggling with a python"

The sculpture above had great detail especially in the muscle definition. 



"Peacock"


18th Century Room






Medieval and Renaissance room 



"Bearded man in Armour"





" Coronation of the crowning of the Virgin with angels playing musical instruments"

The use of primary blue and the gold highlighting is similar to the brightness achieved in stained glass church windows - another favourite of mine. 






OPEN EYE GALLERY 

Alvin Baltrop and Gordon Matta-Clark:The Piers From Here

Please note this exhibition did not allow any photography so the images below are taken from various websites.


The image above shows Gordon Matta-Clark in what was better known as "Pier 52".


A hole was made in the side of the building and floor as an installation performance called "Days End" in order to capture different effects of the light during the passage of time during the sun's rotation.






Alvin Baltrop






Many of these images were taken in the 1970s and 80s. They are of the gay community who used the area as a "cruising" area on the  abandon pier  in New York.The "invisible" population would also include  drug - dealers, smugglers and prostitutes. Despite this, the piers also attracted many artists such as musicians,film makers and photographers. 



The link below shows a brief talk on the Exhibition



No comments:

Post a Comment