Monday 7 April 2014

Tom Wood exhibition Mostyn Gallery LLandudno 29.3.2014



I had been excited to go and see this exhibition after discovering Tom's work in a previous exhibition in Liverpool, which was joint with Martin Parr entitled "Every Man and Woman is a Star". I find that viewing Tom's work  has given me more direction in my own photography, by making me view my own street photography and people images in a different light.


In some ways to me it almost felt like a visual family tree that took the viewer on a journey,which at the same time gave you an insight into Tom's life.There were many images I liked within this exhibition. I find it hard not to draw on my own experiences and memories that could influence my reasoning as to why I could feel a connection to some of his images more than others.



My image above shows Tom's work on display at the Gallery

I had not been to the Mostyn Gallery before and liked the way that it was relaxing, spacious and to a certain degree light. I would have liked to have spent more time there and viewed upstairs but I had parked in a space that only allowed me an hour of parking time.I am looking forward to receiving my book of the exhibition entitled landscapes that I had pre-ordered whilst there.  




I like how the colours are vibrant, how mother nature seems to have claimed back her environment since human departure. I also feel a little sadness with the old saying strong in the forefront of my mind " If these walls could talk" .
Many memories were made in this home pictured above, maybe good and bad. 



This image reminds me of the different generations I would see as a child, where people would stand or sit watching the children play and the world go by.


Above, in the photo on the left, I like the fact that all the images of generations past and presumably present  are on display. In the one on the right I like the image of the simplicity of the room which is so different to how many of us live. The half painted walls of the room give it a cold appeal.



I like the colours in the image above it reminds me of the many relaxing country walks I have been on. 


The image above reminds me of the small back allies I found whilst out photographing in Cefn Mawr


Below are more images from Tom's exhibition 
 









The Biscuit Tin Photo Archive



I also enjoyed the Community project which was an idea of Tom Wood's. It came to him while in Ireland researching his own rural background. A faded biscuit  was handed to him which held old black and white faded images. This made him wonder how many other families have images stashed away in the same way.



It was great to see on show so many old photos of other peoples' generational images of family members that once made a mark in the world. This I felt was a way to show younger viewers to the exhibition about photography and an insight into how times have changed in style and culture.





Link below for Mostyn Gallery LLandudno 









No comments:

Post a Comment